To Hell With Stress
I use to stress about EVERYTHING! Money, work, lack of work, family, relationships, weight. Webster defines stress as "a state of mental tension and worry caused by problems in your life". Porsche defines stress as a choice to drive yourself crazy about things that will not change by you driving yourself crazy.
I had this epiphany a few years ago; I was battling stress and turned to the bible. I came across what is now my favorite bible passage:
Matthew 6:25-34 New International Version (NIV)
Do Not Worry
Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
This was an AHHHAAAA! What the hell are you doing?Get your life moment for me. The last verse smacked me in the face HARD. Now whether you believe in Jesus or pray to wind and fire, I think we can ALL agree that worrying will not add an hour to our lives, or do anything to change our situations. So instead of pacing back and forth, complaining, focusing on all the things that were wrong, I started doing the following.
1. Focused on what I can do to better my situation and put my energy there.
2. If even after doing everything I can to better the situation, the situation still was not better, I learned to accept that. It still could be worse.
3. Think about all the things that are right, as opposed to focusing on what is wrong. No matter how bad things seem, there is someone out there wishing on a star for my life.
4. Listen to inspirational music.
5. Exercise – blow off some steam.
6. Talk to someone who will encourage and uplift. Not people who are just listening to my life to get some tea.
I am by no means a therapist or Doctor of any sort, but this is what works for me. I pretty much decided enough was enough. I came to the realization that in life all I can do is my best, work hard and have faith that everything will turn out great. To this day when I catch myself slipping I turn to Matthew Chapter 6. If you drown negative thoughts with positive ones, I promise there will be a difference in your spirit and sometimes you don’t need a change in circumstance, but a change in spirit.